About Me

we both love to drink pickle juice. Yes, from the jar. And no, not the sweet kind. you can also see more info and pics about us at www.myspace.com under the name dancing feather.

Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Thousand Islands


this beautiful, beautiful place

rainbow over boldt castle

brent and i braving a fabulous storm

my dad piloting the pontoon boat and brad in the background

katrina and kandace: river mermaids

the view from our porch

The Thousand Islands. And yes, the 1000 Islands Salad dressing also was inspired by this place. Nestled in the great St. Lawrence River, there are over 1800 Islands known, starting at the mouth of the river from Lake Ontario, and flowing thousands of miles out to the Atlantic ocean. This river forms the natural border between the U.S. and Canada, and seems to be little known. My family has been coming up to the 1000 Islands since the 1920's, my siblings and I are the fourth generation so far. I have never been anywhere that heals me as much as this sacred place. The Native American's called it Manitouana, or "The Garden of the Great Spirit." Legend says that the Great Spirit was angered by the constant warring between the various tribes, and offered a bountiful and beautiful garden, "Manitouana," if they would cease their warring and live in peace. For a time, they did, but when the fighting began again the Great Spirit gathered up his garden in a blanket, but it tore as he rose, and the garden fell in a thousand pieces, creating the garden we know today. Another version I have heard is that when the Great Spirit rose with the garden in his blanket, that through the small rip a thousand flowers slipped through the hole, and when they landed in the water below they became Islands. Wherever the truth lies, there is no doubt that this place is an Eden on earth.

2 comments:

Briana said...

Oh my gosh! It is so pretty there. I am so excited that you and Brent got to go there. Actually jealous as well. :) I miss you like crazy. Can't wait to see you guys again.

Erin said...

so gorgeous! I wish we could go there too! Maybe one day! Looks like so much fun! great pics! i miss you and brenty poo!